Welcome to the first of a series of pages designed to show you my thought processes and painting habits. In this pictorial I'll be describing how I painted the final batch of 15mm German troops, using the commander figure as a reference. I probably should have used one of the regular troops, because their backpacks are more interesting, but this should be enough for reference.

Pardon the fuzziness of most of these pictures. I am still learning how to take the best shots with my new camera.
Stacks Image 65
Here the mini is primed and stuck to the craft stick with sticky-tack (blu-tack, poster tack). I use white primer on almost everthing because it makes the colors pop better.
Stacks Image 66
I start with the color that requires the largest surface area. For German uniforms it's Greatcoat Grey by P3. I tried doing faces & hands first, but found that it was such a pain in the butt to paint around the completed tiny little areas. It is far easier for me to touch up the uniform if I get flesh paint on it than the other way around.
Stacks Image 67
More basic base-coating. I used P3 Bastion Grey instead of mixing using the Greatcoat Grey on these because I'm lazy. A better approach, that I used with the panzerfausts, would be to lighten up the jacket color and use that, but this works well enough.
Stacks Image 68
I experimented with a Reaper color for boots this time. It's a redder sort of mahogany that I hoped to be able to tone down with a shadow later on. On previous batches I used the same dark red-brown that I use for German leather.
Stacks Image 69
I got a few boots done before I realised that all these riflemen were wearing gaiters, so I had to go back and fill those in. I use a bone white for German canvas, P3 Jack Bone in this case.
Stacks Image 70
Finally time for faces & hands. This is just about the most tedious segment. Base-coat is straight Bronzed Flesh by Citadel.
Stacks Image 71
After the base-coat I go back and mix Flesh Wash (Citadel) 50/50 with the Bronzed Flesh, water it down, and get it into all the crevices. I don't glop it all over, the surface area is too small for that - it just turns the face a uniform darker shade. Let it run into the corners, but try to avoid getting it everywhere.

Some faces turn out better than others. It only took 150 or so figures for me to get more 'good' faces out of a batch than bad ones!
Stacks Image 72
On a larger face, the next step would be going back over and cleaning it up with the base color. I skipped ahead and made a 50/50 mix of Bronzed Flesh and Elf Flesh (Citadel), and watered it down well. For this cleanup I tried to get a smooth transition and push back the shadows just a bit. It didn't always work for the camera close-ups, but the effect is generally good.

For the specular highlights I put straight Elf Flesh on the tip of the nose and either or both cheeks depending on the sculpt. Reasonably sure I skipped a photo step here, so look below for the final face result.
Stacks Image 73
Experimenting again. I don't like to use black if I can help it, colors look so much better in shadows and highlights and everything. Black lining and shadows make a mini look like an illustration - which is fine, but not the style I prefer.

I tried straight Flesh Wash. This looks okay from a distance, but rather creepy up close, even without the camera. It works better when the entire socket isn't filled up but just a line or a smaller dot.
Stacks Image 74
Thornwood Green from P3 is my German Helmet color. One of the fun steps. Solid coat and done for the time being.
Stacks Image 75
Leather is Umbral Umber, also by P3. There's not much surface area, but it's all extremely fiddly for being on top of the uniform. I honestly still don't know which is better for boots, the Umber or Mahogany.
Stacks Image 76
Fixed the eyes. I did finally break down and use Chaos Black (Citadel). First I put in a spot of Menoth White Base (P3), which is lighter than Jack Bone, but still quite obviously not white. Then I put in an even smaller pupil of black. Very fiddly indeed, but I got more good results out of it than bad. It really makes a difference at tabletop distance.
Stacks Image 77
Alright, I got excited about finishing and skipped some more camera steps, but there's not much more here:

The helmet got a brown wash in the crease of the brim, and then a green-grey highlight line to frame the face. The helmet strap got Bloodstone (P3), which is my US troops leather. Normally the strap would be canvas but there's already so much dusty green and grey and tan there, it would have gotten lost at that scale.

The uniform got a highlight consisting of 50/50 Greatcoat Grey and Jack Bone. No shadows on the jacket. The pants got a 50/50 shadow of Bastion Grey and Greatcoat Grey, with no highlights.

The leather got strategic highlights of 50/50 Umbral Umber and Jack Bone.

Boots got an Umbral Umber wash, no highlights.

'Accessories' got black basecoat and Coal Black (P3) for highlights - it's a very dark blue.